----Learning to Rethink Food----
The Journey of a Cook to a Chef

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Butter Poached Shrimp over Black Rice Noodles with Braised Fennel

To cure my craving for sea food I decided to make some garlic butter poached shrimp just a few nights ago. I also recently found some black rice noodles in my cupboard that I thought would pair nicely with this dish. This is the second time i have made braised fennel, my favorite fennel dish to date. Not only does it taste fantastic, but also comes with a good show; flambe.

Braised Fennel:
1 fennel bulb
2 T unsalted butter
1/4 medium onion, Julianne
1 orange
1 T Pernod
1/3 cup chicken stock
tt. Salt and pepper (to taste)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Cut the fennel bulb into 8-10 even wedges, each with some core to hold it together. Remove as much of the woodiest parts of the core as possible while still maintaining the connection between the individual pieces. Over medium heat saute the onion and fennel for about 2 minutes in 1 Tablespoon of butter. Then zest the orange into the pan and squeeze the juice from the orange into the pan. Add the Pernod and ignite. Lightly shake the pan until all flames have dissipated. Reduce by half. Add chicken stock and some salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining butter and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

Butter Poached Shrimp:
Due to my most recent discovery of meat cookery in the oven, I have been trying new meats in varying ways. This attempt couldn't have worked better.

1 lb shrimp
8 oz butter, unsalted
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 t salt

Take the butter and melt it in a pan on the stove over medium heat. Toss in the garlic and warm until fragrant. Place all of the shrimp in an oven proof baking dish in one flat layer on the bottom and pour the butter mixture over the shrimp. place in a 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes. I did this right before my fennel was done. Be sure to remove the pan BEFORE the butter begins to simmer. Only a few bubbles should be coming from the pan when removed. The idea is not to exceed 160 degrees. Let the shrimp rest in the warm pan with the butter while plating the other food. Toss the rice noodles with a little of the garlic butter and add some Sambal Oelek for a little warmth.

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to try making some fennel. I'm not sure that all the butter you cook it in matches up with the P90X diet guide, but I'm willing to cheat a little to try something different.

    I don't know if you've tried making brussel sprouts lately, but Pam and I have really been enjoying the recent crops that have been coming into our local stores. I halve each of them along the pole after trimming off any browned stems, toss them in high quality olive oil, pepper and lots of salt. I don't know why, but they seem to require a lot more salt than I would expect to bring them up to what I think is properly seasoned.

    I toss them in a foil lined pan at 425 and stir them up every 10 minutes or so. I cook them up to 45 minutes or however long it takes to get the cores to be tender and the leaves well browned and crisped.

    I've tried a couple different additional seasonings, but I always come back to just salt, pepper, and oil.

    Just beware of the lingering smell and the pungent order that comes from trying to reheat them later.

    By the way, this blog is great. Now I get to glean all the great cooking knowledge you're acquiring and use it in my own kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fennel. I tried some salt and pepper and chicken stock, but my oven decided to smoke. So I didn't get to finish it.

    ReplyDelete