----Learning to Rethink Food----
The Journey of a Cook to a Chef

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Have You Had Your Fruit Today?


Ever since I was a young child I have been a "fruit junkie", as I would say. We never had much for sweets in the house unless it came from a tree or bush. This has now developed into fascination with fruit in its many forms. Maybe it was how I was raised, but finding kiwi and apple in my salad seems to be all but common place. Even snacks consisted of banana chips and plates of fresh pineapple with blue berries strune about. So after our most recent trip to the store, I felt it was necessary to snap a photo of our plethora of fruit. The list of fruit in the photo is as follows; pineapple, oranges, pummelo, kiwis, kumquats, bananas, cranberries, grapefruit, meyer lemons, limes, bosc pears, golden delicious apples, and granny smith apples. This is one of our best fruit spreads that we have collected in the last few months, and I guarantee it won't be going to waste. So, have you had your fruit today?

3 comments:

  1. I had some pummelo in class today, and it was good. The little yellow things you gave us were tart. Didn't like those as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the Meyer lemon, still pretty tart strait up. Really has some nice citrus notes in the flavor though, reminds me of fresh mandarin oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for bringing the fruit to class today. I've already picked up a pummelo at Hy Vee and found the Meyer lemons at Whole Paycheck.

    ReplyDelete